Merit Career Development > Courses > Active and Effective Listening
Active and Effective Listening
4.46 View Feedback
Research shows that 80% of business problems are caused by poor communication. This workshop provides the
participant with the critical communication skills necessary to succeed in their personal and work environment. Addressing
problems by using active listening provides a solid foundation for effective communications, even in difficult circumstances.
Examining and implementing the dynamics of effective communication—with emphasis on active listening as the method for
understanding the meanings of the messages sent by others—greatly improves communication.
- Recognize opportunities in the workplace for more effective communication
- Analyze the audience
- Learn and practice active listening skills to enhance work relationships and increase effectiveness
- Choosing the best communication method for a situation
- Crafting difficult messages
- Gain insight into the role of culture in interpersonal communication processes
- Experience cultural differences in thought and emotion
- Using questioning skills to enhance communication effectiveness
Topics & Content
- Online listening skills assessment
- The impact of poor communication in organizations
- Communicating more successfully with others
- Meaning centered communication
- Audience analysis, understanding your intended audience, and shaping your message to reach and persuade your intended audience
- Action Plan to reinforce and transfer learning to the workplace
- The impact of cultural differences on effective communication
Course Code: PD104
Duration: 4 hours
Targeted Audience: This course is designed for personnel in the private or public workforce that wish to improve their listening and communication skills.
- OPM - 4 CLP(s)
- PMI - 4 PDU(s)
What parts of the workshop were most valuable and/or beneficial to you?
I enjoyed how to view this on both sides
Helped me better understand the importance of active listening
What improvements should be made to the workshop?
The instructor was clear, easy to understand
Comments and suggestions for the facilitators
Good job, maybe a little bit long
Gail was organized, knowledgeable and engaged!
Imagine that a coworker asks: what was the workshop like for you? How will you respond?
Was easy to stay engaged the majority of the time
It was helpful and fun
Very beneficial, learned many new listening skills
Positive learning experience
I had some good takeaways
This was a great training
Though-provoking and helpful!
Contact us to find out when and where the course(s) you are interested in are being offered.